A DIET EVOLUTION
NO WHEAT, NO DAIRY, NO SUGAR

Monday, January 14, 2013

Wheat Belly Lecture, Chocolate Cookies and Pancakes




We went and saw Dr. William Davis give a talk on the hazards of wheat. He was informative and funny. Afterwards he did an unexpected book signing and I got my new cookbook signed by him.

On Sunday I made his Chocolate Chip Cookies which I made completely sugar free. I am really trying in 2013 to reduce all sugars including honey and maple syrup. The fructose in honey and maple syrup is damaging to the liver and promotes abdominal obesity. So I used 1/2 tsp. of Sweetleaf Vanilla Stevia instead of any other sweeteners and thought that they were sweet enough. For the chocolate chips I used cocao nibs, they have no sugar but they give a crunch. I also added in slivered almonds for more crunch. Here is his recipe on line, it is a bit different from his cookbook one. http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/10/chocolate-chip-cookies/

Today I made Paleo Blueberry Pancakes.

Paleo Blueberry Pancakes 

1 1/2 cups almond flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. sea salt
3 eggs
2 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. organic vanilla
1/2 tsp. cider vinegar
2 tbsp. melted coconut oil or butter
6 oz. fresh or frozen blueberries

Mix all ingredients in a food processor until well combined. Add blueberries and stir with spoon.
Heat griddle on low to med low. Once skillet is heated add grapeseed oil or rice bran oil. With a tablespoon at one scoop to make dollar size pancakes. They cook faster and you don't have to worry about burnt edges because the pancakes are not cooked in the middle. Watch your heat and adjust accordingly.
This is a good treat and didn't even need maple syrup just a good smack of butter. Yumm!
Healthy Life
Suzanne







No comments:

Post a Comment