I liked her article: http://www.annboroch.com/blog/february-2012-newsletter-8020-rule-of-moderation
Following her guide lines would help with all kinds of diseases.
Top Foods/Drinks That Are Most Damaging To The Body:
- Refined sugars (high fructose corn syrup, white sugar, dextrose, fructose, brown sugar, molasses) are found in candy, ice cream, donuts, fruit juices, snack bars, etc. Sugar creates inflammation in the body and strips it of essential vitamins and minerals needed for optimal functioning. Even unsweetened fruit juices have too much sugar. Consider instead: stevia, chicory root, coconut sugar, and small amounts of birch xylitol (Ultimate Sweetener).
- Cow’s dairy products (milk, cheeses, ice cream, and, yes, even yogurt!) Milk is pasteurized, homogenized, and filled with antibiotics and hormones. Pasteurized and homogenized means that milk is heated to high temperatures to kill off bacteria. But this process also changes the mineral structure and makes milk acidic. Acidic foods do not add minerals to the body but actually leach them from the body. Calcium and other minerals come from eating dark leafy green vegetables. What other species drinks milk from another species? None. Switching to Lactaid milk, which removes the lactose (sugar) from milk, doesn’t solve the problem because most people are also allergic to the protein molecule in milk. Consider instead: Unsweetened almond, coconut or hemp milk.
- Gluten (barley, kamut, oats (unless gluten-free oats), rye, spelt, wheat, white flour) is found in cereals, breads, bagels, pastries, and snack bars. Gluten is a protein that creates inflammation in the body. I call it “goo and glue” in the gut. It strips the villi on the intestinal tract lining allowing antigens and food particles to pass through the intestinal wall and leak into the body. Consider instead: quinoa, millet, buckwheat, wild rice, brown rice, teff, and amaranth.
- Alcohol - a neurotoxin. Yes, wine has resveratrol in it, but you can get the benefits of that by taking a supplement or eating grapes–not drinking it in a base of chemicals that negatively impact liver and brain function.
- Trans fats (partially hydrogenated or hydrogenated oils) - are found in processed foods such as pizza, chips, breads, pastries, donuts, and french fries. Trans fats are vegetable oils heated to high temperatures for the sole purpose of increasing the shelf life of a food product. These denatured oils clog arteries, increases bad cholesterol, and contribute to heart disease and diabetes.
- Artificial sweeteners, caffeine, MSG - many processed foods and drinks contain chemicals and stimulants. They have a direct impact on brain function and energy. High energy drinks such as Red Bull, Rockstar, Cocaine Energy drink, are loaded with sugar and caffeine, which over excite the brain. Caffeine, in particular, is acidic, an irritant to the central nervous system, and disrupts the endocrine system.